Skip to main content

Green proposal for Brookside Kcmo 6-6-2018

I’m thrilled  to talk with you today about brookside's new potential in recycling and composting. First I’m going to tell you why I’m here, why now is the time for brookside to begin its journey to sustainability  and then ill hand it over to Cassandra who will go into better detail on logistics for a sustainable future. 
My name's Olivia English and I was lucky to be raised in brookside. I’m lucky to also work at Bella Napoli which is an Italian family restaurant that has made brookside its home for the last 17 years. 
Bella Napoli strives in authentic Italian experience. 
This experience comes from Italy, and in Italy, restaurants such as ours not only care about what goes on inside the restaurant but what happens outside regarding waste... especially food waste.
In Milan, excess food is used to feed less fortunate, composting to feed farmers soil, and recycling to feed a circle economy and reduce landfill methane production.
 I'm a traveler and I direct my focus on witnessing the daily infrastructure of trash In communities rich and poor, new and advanced,  and each time I come home to brookside my biggest question is .. Why are we NOT the leaders in sustainability?Has anybody asked?
Is it something you’ve thought about?
In Peru, education is scarce where the plastic is thick. In the downtown of Hong Kong, theres no room to innovate and improve.  I see our grand potential, myself and a great group of women created LivegreenKC which is a platform for education, inspiration, and ACTION. 
What would be your ideal situation…?
Designed to engage this community as a whole. 
I’m here today because I believe We are ready to begin our journey - to become a role model for Kansas City and the greater midwest to improve practices through out personal and business life. 
Are you looking for solutions?
Brookside Kansas City is a educated, wealthy,  and beautiful neighborhood. With such amazing local shops filled with smart and passionate people I believe we have an opportunity to be ahead of the curve in a commitment to sustainability. 
In a basic evaluation, a majority of our waste is 
  1.  Preventable (excess packaging, over ordering, single use plastics, throw away items.)
  2. compostable (ie. paper towels, napkins, food waste) 
  3. recyclable (ie packaging, cans, bottles, boxes).. 
Over the years we have recycled cardboard and glass but as family I feel we must venture further. 

  • Brookside real-estate is managed by a national company who has just recently brought to their table a discussion and active support of projects that aim at reducing waste and improving green practices.  Anna and Sean are the coordinators for Brookside. They are onboard in getting the message in front of the right people.
  • Here we have Cassandra from Bridging the Gap (an environmental non profit here in Kansas City that generates diverse projects ranging from tree planting and recycling centers, to green consulting for local businesses and schools). Cassandra is the main consultant for businesses in education and implementation of more sustainable practices in the work place. 

Our goal is to educate local people and businesses about waste. We will break it down in parts
  • The current system of trash and how it's impacting our environment, 
  • The businesses that offer solutions from organic waste, recycling, and learning what materials they accept. 
  • Initial pricing of new systems, and implementation by displaying proper signs and strategically placing the bins for each type of material.

We will continue this discussion and bring the focus to education and understanding of a greener lifestyle.



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Celi love for Mycelium

I had seen the videos over the last 4 years… Mycoremediation- using mycelium to breakdown different materials that are negative on this environment and breaking the carbon bonds with special enzymes to produce carbohydrates which can be positive or neutral in our environment I had also fallen for a couple new companies growing furniture with mycelium…. Following them online was a blessing, My passion followed in action.  I found a mushroom farmer in Kansas City. Carie Cave. Not only is she humble and full of love, but she allowed me in her space to teach me and show me the details in producing a culinary mushroom. Free Education through volunteering… I learned how sensitive this live culture is to light, air, and other competing microbes. I found my new love, oh and by the way, did you know that mushrooms are more closely related to the animal kingdom than to plants? These special microorganism are used to expand our mind, our body, and soon, recovering of our planets he

San Fransisco - LA Sweetgreen roadtrip 4-29-2018

Tuesday morning- April 24th I will be traveling with a Orion down the west coast with a final destination of Arizona. Orion works for a farm to table concept called SweetGreen. He builds personal relationships with the farmers to learn their system and values. We will be leaving San Francisco and visit farms throughout the west coast and the south states.  Orion and I begin on the road this morning towards a mushroom farm , high production high scaled. I want to focus on the education aspect of this but I can’t help pulling an emotional human experience with it. Orion and I visit Global Mushroom. Most everything is automated. Our guy Chris tells us that before they expanded he told the boss man about automation. Implementing this system into an old system doesn’t work. You can’t stop production to create a new way. You need to expand in to a new system as to make the old system obsolete.  The equipment mixes, weighs, drops the agricultural waste into wooden crate. Then t

Happy Hour / A straw experiement 6-22-2018

On Thursdays I go out with my dear friend Kianna and we spend all afternoon bar hopping for happy hour drinks. We enjoy the sunny patios, the cheap cocktails and conversations with those around us. The day leads us into the evening where we make our way to the bars of the night life, and of course finally to VIP lounge with bottle service galore. These Thursdays have become my science experiments on communication, consumerism, and consciousness.     I know plastic straws are measurable on impact to our environment and so I take most Thursdays as a time to communicate with bartenders, servers, and friends. I will be sure to speak up, make eye contact, and say those words “no straw please..” with a murmured “they are killing the planet” under my breath.  I tally how many people actually hear me, and that someone might speak up and say “hey that’s neat” but more likely a “oh she’s a no straw girl.. i don’t get it” I go through my night adding volume to my conviction as the musi